Question – what collar and leash to buy a dog? – arises from the first minutes, as the puppy was at your house. With experience, you already begin to understand what is more convenient for walking your pet. I want to make it easier for you and conduct a detailed analysis of the ammunition, convenient for both the owner and his four-legged friend. Choose the best small dog harness for your dog.
How to choose a leash?
The leash is your dog’s control. The quality of the walk directly depends on the convenience of the accessories that you use.
What is the ideal leash:
In the picture I have marked the main qualities of the leash, which are usually important to the owner of the dog. I will clarify only about the carbine: it should be light, and its size should correspond to the size of your dog, this is especially important for small dogs.
And now, using examples, we will analyze different types of leashes:
- tape measure – unfortunately many owners prefer tape measure, thinking it makes it easier for them to walk the dog. But the first thing roulette teaches a dog is to pull the leash because that’s how the roulette works – pull = go. And we need the opposite – pulled = stop. Those. on the tape measure, the dog is on a leash constantly taut. Being on a taut leash leads to distortion of signals of reconciliation (dog language), i.e. the dog sends the wrong signals to the other dog – signals of increase, superiority, aggression. Hence the concept of “aggression on a leash” – when an oncoming dog misinterprets your dog’s signals due to a tight leash.
Also, the roulette is dangerous, if suddenly you drop it – it will “jump” after your dog and share it with its knocking and fast approach, which can lead to tragic cases when the dog tries to escape from the roulette that is catching up and runs headlong. Man or dog may become entangled in the cable from your tape measure and be damaged. it’s thin and tough. Even on the roulette wheel, you will not be able to train the dog, because you do not have the necessary leash control that is only possible with a regular leash. If you need to pull on the leash, then on the tape measure you pull with your whole hand. On an ordinary leash, you work with only fingers and a brush, i.e. the effect is subtle and pinpoint, jewelry.
- such a chain is not suitable as a leash. It is heavy, i.e. the dog feels its weight on its neck all the time. Even on a harness, this weight will be felt. It is impossible to teach a dog to walk on a sagging leash on such a chain.
- is a canvas leash that is too thin and can hurt your hands when pulling on the leash.
- shock absorbing element. Can be used for a chained dog, but not for walking. He does not give you the opportunity to work normally with a leash, give them the signals the dog needs. It is better to teach the dog not to pull the leash in another way.
- Leashes for multiple dogs – I don’t recommend using them. In this case, the dogs do not maintain personal distance, which may affect their behavior. Animals cannot move away from each other, they cannot normally show signals of reconciliation and develop-communicate with other dogs. This can lead to aggression among themselves. Or they will become isolated on their pack and will not learn to communicate with other dogs.
- Such a rope leash for an amateur. It can be unpleasant for someone in the hands, and for someone even very suitable. Too thin can be really uncomfortable. And too fat is heavy. It is important to find a middle ground. But I did not find any serious contraindications for him.
- leather leash – not for everybody. I don’t really recommend them as they are. they quickly deteriorate, coarse, burst. But if it is made of very high-quality abrasion-resistant leather, soft, lightweight, and flexible – why not.
- ordinary canvas leash, durable, does not cut hands, wear-resistant, will serve you faithfully for a long time. Unfortunately, it is not available in every country.
- rebelay leash. A wonderful thing! Adjustable to different lengths. It clings to a belt or slung over your shoulder, thereby freeing your hands if you are training a dog or playing sports. The dog can be quickly and easily fastened to a bench or a pole if required.
- soft, comfortable leashes that do not cut your hands, but at the same time are light, durable, and easy to wash. Matches the description of the ideal leash.
- is a good, handy carabiner.
- I don’t really like this carbine, because you can accidentally unhook the dog if you grab it. And yet it is not very convenient to fasten it and fall into the groove with the ring.
- is the most common carbine. Convenient. But it can be made of unreliable material and breaks down. It is desirable that it be bronze or steel.
- are my favorite carbines. Easy, simple, and convenient to fasten. Minus of the carbine 16 – when the leash is twisted, it can unfasten. But on the 15 carbines, there is a special wheel for greater reliability so that the carbine does not exactly open. Its disadvantage is that it is not convenient to unscrew/tighten every time.
Jerks for the leash
A direct relationship has been established between jerking at the leash and back diseases. And then the neck and throat suffer (if the dogs walk on collars, not harnesses ). As a result of a study conducted in Sweden (see A. Hallgren’s book “Behavioral Problems – or Back Pain?”), It was found that 91% of dogs with neck injuries experienced strong jerks on the leash or pulled the leash themselves for a long time. Moreover, first of all, it is dangerous to jerk the leash on a strict collar or a stranglehold, which can lead to serious damage to the cervical vertebrae, neck muscles, irritation, and pinching of the throat.
Therefore, if your dog is still pulling on a leash, I recommend, first, to switch from a collar to a harness., and, secondly, to teach the dog to walk on a sagging leash, of course on PP (positive reinforcement). If you have not yet had time to switch to a harness, then use collars that are less harmful to your pet.
“Tight leash aggression”
The dog is showing distorted reconciliation signals to the other dog due to the taut leash. Those. cannot properly perform the ritual of meeting another dog. On a taut leash, the dog increases in size, rises on its front paws – thus involuntarily demonstrating its superiority over a relative, to which he can react unfriendly. Therefore, so often on leashes, dogs behave much more aggressively, bark and rush at each other. I will tell you more about this in another article.